Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Christmas Breakfast Sausage Buns

I've really been in the Christmas spirit the last few days and today I bought my Christmas tree.

Yes, I realize it's only November 8th, but I just couldn't help myself. I found a 7 1/2 foot tree with pine cones at Hobby Lobby for 50% off so I couldn't resist.

My cats will eat any live plant that enters the house so I had to get an artificial tree. For the past several years I have had a teeny tiny tabletop tree and this year I'm going all out. I have so many beautiful ornaments from years past and new ones from ports we have visited and the teeny tree can't support many ornaments.
Last years teeny tiny tree

Since I was in the Christmas spirit, I decided to make my Sausage Thingy's. That's what I call them. I learned this recipe in 1998 from a really sweet lady I worked with. She brought them in as a holiday breakfast treat for the office and I've been doing it every Christmas season since. They are super easy and I really should treat my friends to them more often.

I hope you share this recipe with your work family as I do.

Christmas Breakfast Sausage Buns - aka "Sausage Thingy's"

Ingredients:

1 lb ground sausage
1 package of rolls/buns in aluminum pan
1 package cream cheese
1 medium onion
1 green bell pepper

Preheat oven 350 degrees.



Brown ground sausage in skillet on medium heat.


 Finely dice onion and green pepper.

   Add diced onion and green pepper to sausage.






Cook together until sausage is no longer pink and veggies are cooked.

Drain off any excess fat.       Remove from heat and add cream cheese. Mix cream cheese into mixture stirring well until completely incorporated in mixture.
 Take rolls out of package and aluminum pan. Cut in half length wise keeping rolls together.


 Put the bottom half back in the pan and fill with sausage mixture.

Top with roll top and cover with foil.
Cook in oven for 20-25 minutes until heated through and bottom is browned.



You can substitute turkey sausage and fat free cream cheese and save a few calories. I have done both and it is just as delicious.
I hope you and your co-workers have a merry and blessed Thanksgiving and Christmas season.
Babe-O

1 comment:

  1. Made these on Thanksgiving morning and they came out great! Thanks Karey =)

    ReplyDelete